Sexual Assault Program in Antigo WI
Sexual violence can be described as a continuum of physical and/or non-physical acts that break a person’s trust and/or safety and are sexual in nature. All forms of sexual violence can be traumatic and can leave lasting effects on its victims.
When you call AVAIL, you will be believed and not blamed. You will be given options and your choices and feelings will be respected. Your information will be kept confidential and you will be able to talk to someone who cares and will listen.
Sexual assault is NEVER a victims Fault. There is hope….you do not have to do this alone! Call AVAIL for more information, or to receive services.
To better understand your situation, it can be helpful to talk with someone who understands. AVAIL staff are available to talk in our office or any safe place you are comfortable with. We have staff on-call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
What Is Sexual Assault?
- Any Type of sexual contact without consent
- Sexual contact with someone who is not able, by law, to give consent
- Victims that are forced, coerced and/or manipulated into unwanted sexual activity
What Consent is NOT:
Consent is not:
- Giving in due to fear, pressure or manipulation
- The absence of “no” or silence
- Possible if a person is incapacitated due to drugs or alcohol
Effects of Sexual Violence:
- Guilt & Shame
- Fear & Confusion
- Feeling dirty
- Feeling damaged
- No Feeling (numb)
- Loss of Trust
- Panic Attacks
- Suicidal Thoughts